- We will discuss the facebook downtime incident
- Today you will work an interesting problem related to image recognition. This is linked to the computer organization standard data representation.
- You will work a problem to recognize an image. This is fairly complex, but once you understand how a computer classifies an image you will understand how facial recognition works, and many other computer-vision related problems.
- You will need this file: https://github.com/bmackenty/studentPythonStuff/blob/master/data_rep_images.py
- Please also look at github https://github.com/bmackenty/studentPythonStuff and grab image1.png and imag2.png Make sure all these files are in the same folder
- We will make sure you have pil and numpy installed:
- python3 -m pip install numpy
- python3 -m pip install --upgrade Pillow
- I will explain how an image is represented, and then I'll ask you to think how you can design and construct a program to "see" the shape. This will take some time and some brain power, so please just spend some time with this problem.
- This is a formatively graded assessment which will be due in four classes.
A little less comfortable
A little more comfortable
Our Big idea
The big idea for today is Computational thinking.
The essential questions for this topic are:
How do we think about problems in a way which makes them solvable for a computer?
It takes time to explore and really understand a big idea. If you want to
learn more about computational thinking (which is connected to today's daily note), please click here .
We are learning this because as a designers must understand scientific and technical innovation. Designers use systems, models, methods, and processes to solve problems.